Shifting

Free Download Books Shifting  Author Charisse Jones – johndore.co.uk
  • Paperback
  • 368 pages
  • Shifting
  • Charisse Jones
  • English
  • 25 November 2017
  • 0060090553

About the Author: Charisse Jones

Is a well-known author, some of his books are a fascination for readers like in the Shifting book, this is one of the most wanted Charisse Jones author readers around the world.


Shifting Based on the African American Women s Voices Project, Shifting reveals that a large number of African American women feel pressure to com promise their true selves as they navigate America s racial and gender bigotry Black women shift by altering the expectations they have for themselves or their outer appearance They modify their speech They shift White as they head to work in the morning and Black as they come back home each night They shift inward, internalizing the searing pain of the negative stereotypes that they encounter daily And sometimes they shift by fighting back.With deeply moving interviews, poignantly revealed on each page, Shifting is a much needed, clear, and comprehensive portrait of the reality of African American women s lives today. Download Shifting – johndore.co.uk

You may also like...

10 thoughts on “Shifting

  1. Kimberly says:

    Wow.That s all I can say after reading this book.If you ve ever received the compliment Wow, you speak so well or Wow, you re so smart with an unspoken trail off at the end of the sentence, this book is for you If you ve ever spoken to someone on the phone and then met them in person, only to have them say in passing When I talked to you, I thought you were White This book is for you.If you ve cringed at the hyper sexualization of thin, Black females, the once a Black male Wow.That s all I can say after reading this book.If you ve ever received the compliment Wow, you speak so well or Wow, you re so smart with an unspoken trail off at the end of the sentence, this book is for you If you ve ever spoken to someone on the phone and then met them in person, only to have them say in passing When I talked to you, I thought you were White This book is for you.If you ve cringed at the hyper sexualization of thin, Black females, the once a Black male makes over a million dollars, he gets a blond White girl and know what Black Man s Kyrptonite means, this book is for you.If you ve ever thought about having a Strong Black Family , but the only men that approach you within your social economic group and education background are White men, this book is for you This is not a light hearted look into what it means to be African American and f...

  2. Desiree says:

    While reading this I realized I picked the wrong time to delve into the subject matter and it was quite unintentional I had borrowed it from the library and it was fast approaching the return date so I had to get a move on and read it Now why do I say wrong time I say this because with all the negativity, bigotry entitlement that is running rampant this book only served as a reminder and an emphatic confirmation of what African American women have to endure while navigating life in thes While reading this I realized I picked the wrong time to delve into the subject matter and it was quite unintentional I had borrowed it from the library and it was fast approaching the return date so I had to get a move on and read it Now why do I say wrong time I say this because with all the negativity, bigotry entitlement that is running rampant this book only served as a reminder and an emphatic confirmation of what African American women have to endure while navigating life in these here United States I found myself nodding a lot and just downright frustrated with example upon example of injustices and biases against black women I also started to wonderabout the term shifting I understand what the authors were trying to convey in that black women have to take on certain identities in certain se...

  3. Koko Lewis says:

    Great information, but no solutions to the issues we face It is based off a study so it is a long hard read I definitely saw myself or someone I knew inthan a few stories.

  4. Izetta Autumn says:

    Given the recent torture and sexual assault of Megan Williams, a 20 year old West Virginian who was held captive for several days, while she was repeatedly raped and beaten, and the Dunbar Housing Project sexual assault, I feel it s vitally important to read about the lives of Black Women and all womyn in America especially as so many of us face violence...

  5. Kelli says:

    The life and times of black women in America having to endure dual isms against women and African Americans.

  6. CKE387 says:

    Deals with the duality of being black and female, encountering problems that neither black men nor white women face or coud emphatize with.

  7. Kibkabe says:

    Shifting The Double Lives of Black Women in America is an eye opening nonfiction book supported by countless interviews and a major study along with references to other studies that shows how black women shift change themselves in one or several ways to appease white America and return to their true selves in black America and the dangerous effects of those actions The book brought up shifting in various ways, and though it became a somewhat traumatic read realizing the racism weaved i Shifting The Double Lives of Black Women in America is an eye opening nonfiction book supported by countless interviews and a major study along with references to other studies that shows how black women shift change themselves in one or several...

  8. Gail says:

    This book is based on a research project, The African American Women s Voices Project One author is a psychologist, the other a journalist A wide demographic is included in the study but the book also cites other authors and research to document the results they found The book explores nearly every aspect of a black woman s life work, school, intimate relationships especially between black men and women , depression, health, parenting, beauty, language, and the church The concept behind th This book is based on a research project, The African American Women s Voices Project One author is a psychologist, the other a journalist A wide demographic is included in the study but the book also cites other authors and research to document the results they found The book explores nearly every aspect of a black woman s life work, school, intimate relationships especially between black men and women , depression, health, parenting, be...

  9. Maya Reid says:

    I m sure this work was groundbreaking when it came out, but it felt fairly dated and gender essentialist heteronormative now I d love to see someone take on a similar project with amodern mindset.

  10. BMR, MSW, LSW says:

    I cannot articulate how deeply this book affected me.If there were a freshman survey course about me at a university, this would be the first book on the syllabus.I have so much to unpack and think about after finishing this book I d say 60 percent of the stories resonated with me at such a deep level, it was like reading a narrative of my life so far The other 40 percent of stories I recognized in the lives of other Black women I know.I don t buy many books any, but I am buying this one.I I cannot articulate how deeply this book affected me.If there were a freshman survey course about me at a university, this would be the first book on the syllabus.I have so much to unpack and think about after finishing this book I d say 60 percent of the stories resonated with me at such a deep level, it was like reading a narrative of my life so far The other 40 percent of stories I recognized in the lives of other Black women I know.I don t buy many books any, but I am buying this one.I d love ...